Tuesday, August 12, 2014

O Captain! My Captain!

I'm sure I'm not alone in my feelings of deep sadness at the passing of Robin Williams.   He holds a very special place in my heart, and in the hearts of so many.  That's how amazing he was.  None of us knew him, as a person, but his passing feels personal.  But God, when I look back at the films he was in that made me laugh and cry, and FEEL something.  So many.  So, so many.

From Dead Poets Society to The World According to Garp.  What Dreams May Come and Good Will Hunting.  Good Morning Vietnam, Awakenings, Patch Adams.  Nine Months, The Fisher King and The Birdcage.

Each role makes me smile, or think or cry.  And to think that this man, who was so very sad, took his own life.  Sad.  What a pathetic word to use.  I can't imagine the pain of living in such a dark space, while trying to make people happy.

Suicide is so heart wrenching.  So final.  So unbelievably sad.

Carpe diem my friends.  And rest in peace Mr. Williams.

If you or someone you know needs help, please, please call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

No comments: