Monday, February 25, 2013

Downton, you pissed me off...

So another season of Downton Abbey has come and gone.  I cannot put into words how much I love this show.  My cousin Hans tells me it's for old ladies, and once he heard it's on PBS it only solidified his platform on the demographic of the show.  I happen to know for a fact that I'm not the only non-octegenarian that watches and loves this show.

Now I won't spoil anything for anyone (but can we talk for a moment about how I'm a little tired of not spoiling things for people because it takes them 3 weeks to watch a show they DVR'd?) but two major characters DIED this season.  Dead!  Gone!  And I ugly cried when one of them went.  Yeah.  Full on ugly crying.  And trust me, when I cry (pretty or not), the ugly is residual.  Red nose, red face, puffy eyes.

I think my love of this show comes from my love of England.  I'm a total Anglophile and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I'm a pretty big Francophile too, now that I think of it (why do I live in Buffalo again??).  But I love the beauty of where Downton is set.  I love the upstairs/downstairs business of the gentry and servants.  I love the costumes, and the music and the accents.

I love that they dress for dinner (you'd never catch Lady Mary running to the store in her PJ pants.  Come to think of it you'd never see Lady Mary running anywhere.).

So now we wait for Season 4.  And I swear to God, if I have to wait until January to see it (I'm talking to you PBS and BBC) I'm going to have to take a meeting with someone when I'm over there in April. Because I've got some clout over there*, you see.

If you haven't seen it, just give it a try.  Just a try!!!  If you hate it then you hate it, but at least I'll know you tried. xo

*I totally have no clout anywhere.

No comments: