Friday, September 20, 2013

A letter to a younger me...

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time to give myself advice.   I'm overall relatively happy with how life has gone thus far, but IF I could give myself a little nudge in the right direction, this is what I'd say:

Dear Jenny, 
There are a few things I want to mention to you as you continue to grow up.  You're doing a really good job so far, but there are just a few things you might want to look out for as you continue your journey.

First, don't date that boy in High School.  He turns out to be a complete and utter D-bag and is a total waste of your time.  Spend your time with your girlfriends.  There's plenty of time for dating in college.

Speaking of college, you lucked out by scoring a sweet job post graduation, but if you were to do it again, you might want to take a more direct approach to your course load and not just take classes you 'like'.  Sure, a degree in English with a double minor in French and Art History sounds fun, but isn't all that practical.  Again, kudos on lucking yourself into a career that's now in it's 20th year.

Now for that boy you married.  He was a good guy, really.  Maybe not perfect for you.  You probably shouldn't have married him.  I know how these things go.  You're in college, you fall in love.  You graduate, you move in together.  What next?  I guess we'll get engaged and married.  Ok.  No.  Not okay.  Then once your careers starting taking off you lost site of one another.  You might have wanted to keep each other as priority #1.  But you didn't so that's that.  But I hope that if you don't take my advice, and you do end up divorced, that you'll decide to put yourself out there more.  Date a few frogs instead of holding out for Mr. Perfect.  And Mr. Perfect? He's another story.  When you have him, don't let him go.  You were such a dumbass.  Or I mean I was.  Er, we.

Moving on.  Please don't worry so much.  About 98% of the things you worry about will never happen.  Trust me.  I'm on this side of things now and practically none of it has happened.  

You're Type A, I get that.  Trust me, you 20 years older is STILL Type A.  But it's you.  Embrace it.  Don't apologize for it.  Just temper it a little around those who are Type Bs.  Or Ds.  Or those with no Type.  It's not their fault, just like it's not your fault that you're so...Type A.

Fall head first into crushes.  They don't last long but they're oh so lovely.

Save wisely.  And invest.

Never settle.  Yes, I said to date some frogs, that's not settling.  There might be a prince on a bad day in the lot.

Tell people you love them every day.  You're going to lose your dad at an early age, and you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you told him 'I love you' just one more time.  And this is despite the fact that you spent the last month of his life by his side telling him just how much you love him.  It's just never enough.

Be nice to people.  It costs nothing and it's just the right thing to do.

Let people go when it's time.  Some relationships/friendships/acquaintances aren't for life.  People serve a purpose in your life and for some it's temporary.  And that's ok.

Hold as many babies as you can.  

Always work hard.  Don't be that person that says "Well, I did my best", if you really know it wasn't your best.  And you know what your best is.  Come on.

Sleep more.

Go out more.

Stock up on Mennon Lilac Deodorant and Caress Lotion.  You'll thank me later.

You'll go to Europe a bunch of times.  Sit still while you're there.  Put the camera down.  Have a cup of coffee.  Read a book.   Kiss some boys with British and French accents.

Oh there's so much more I want to tell you, and I will, in another letter.

Keep headed the way you're going though.  You're a good egg Jenny.

xo, 
Jenny


No comments: