Monday, July 22, 2013

On friendships...

I've been wanting to write this post for some time.  Over the past few years I've made new friends, lost one and I'm currently on the fence about others.  I have friends I've had my whole life, and a few that I've known for only a few months.

Maintaining friendships is difficult.  We're all busy (please don't get me started on this 'culture of busy'), we all have other friendships, responsibilities, jobs, etc.  The key is to find people you can trust.  People who have the same expectations out of friendship as you do.

What makes friendship so hard when you get older?  For me I guess it's my standards.  They're high.  But when I write it down, not really.  I want honesty.  I want you to be there for me, like I am for you.  That's about it.  I don't want you to tell me what I want to hear.  Give it to me straight.  I think I'm a tough person to be friends with.  I give a lot, but I expect the same.  Don't use me up and then toss me aside.  I tend to be a bit unforgiving, in the sense that the old adage of 'fool me once'.  I only get fooled once.  No twice over here (with the exception of one or two people I'm not willing to let go).

Now, this isn't a post about good friends and bad friends.  It's also not one of those annoyingly vague FB posts that make you think 'Did I piss you off?  Is that post about me??!?'.  One thing about me is you pretty much know where I stand at any given time.  I don't rely on cowardly social media posts to make my feelings known.   Note:  HUGE pet peeve.  The person you're directing it to can usually figure it out and if not, shame on you for not addressing it with them personally.  Why involve all of your FB friends?

This is a post on friends.  And a note to keep them close.  Love them, rely on them, treat them well and be there for them.  Friends are one of the greatest gifts in life, and the older I get, the more apparent this becomes.  My friends are my family.  I love them with all of my heart.  I hold them tight, then let them go when it's time.  But no matter what, I carry a piece of them in my heart, and I always will.

xo

2 comments:

Michele said...

We may not be close, but you are a wonderful friend :-) (As evidenced by the wonderful stories on your blog!)

Unknown said...

Thanks Michele! I failed to mention the friends that you never see, yet are still in your heart! :)