Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Give a little bit...

I know I've posted about this before, and I don't want to get on a soap box or anything, but I can't emphasize how important it is to donate blood.  And if you want to be an even bigger hero, donate plasma or platelets!  It helps so many people, doesn't take a ton of time, and really doesn't hurt all that bad!

I started donating blood on 9/11.  Like many other I felt completely helpless that day.  Sadly they didn't need anyone's blood, but I gave anyway.  I gave every 8 weeks from that day until the day I learned that I could help someone going through chemotheraphy replace the platelets they lose during treatment.  This takes a little longer, but it is so worth it.
Here are a few facts for ya'...
  1. Someone needs blood every two seconds.
  2. Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – less than 10 percent do annually.
  3. One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
  4. Platelets promote blood clotting and give those with leukemia and other cancers a chance to live.
  5. Much of today's medical care depends on a steady supply of blood from healthy donors.
  6. Children being treated for cancer, premature infants and children having heart surgery need blood and platelets from donors of all types, especially type O.
  7. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and patients undergoing open-heart surgery may require platelet transfusions to survive.
  8. If only one more percent of all Americans would give blood, blood shortages would disappear for the foreseeable future.
Source: America's Blood - I donate at the American Red Cross but there are a ton of agencies that are wonderful.

No comments: