Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm reading a book right now called Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, and in it are two passages that have moved and spoken to me in a way that I hope do neither for you. They're about the death of a parent. 


"The death of a parent, is a profoundly life-altering experience, isn't it?  When I was a child, I often had this feeling of God's in his Heaven:  All's right with the world - that's Robert Browning.  An English poet.  But ever since my father died in the last war, I've awakened each morning knowing that I'll never again feel that absolute security.  Nothing is ever quite right, is it, after a parent dies?  No matter how well things go by, something always feels slightly off..."


"I'm just startled by how well you put it.  It's like being in a sort of club, isn't it?  A bereavement club.  You don't chose to join it; it's thrust upon you.  And the members whose lives have been changed have more knowledge than those who aren't in it, but the price of belonging is so terribly high."


Sorry to be a bummer first thing on a Monday morning, but never have I read something that so accurately sums up how I feel most of the time since losing my dad.  My friend LB and I always talk about how it feels like a club...a really crappy club, that no one wants to be in, but one that binds the members together in profound ways, nonetheless.


Again, sorry.  I'll post 4th of July pictures later to make up for it! :-)


Happy Monday!


xo

No comments: