Saturday, May 5, 2018

Need a Good Read?



I am a bookworm.  I tear through books and devour them like cake.  I decided that I wanted to keep track of what I was reading this year, so I've been making a list of everything I read.  I just started my 17th book of the year, and I thought I'd share what I've like, and what has been just meh.

I'm a lover of historical fiction and mystery/thriller/twisty-turny books, so my list certainly reflects that.  I also joined Book of the Month Club last year, and I love it in that I get books when they're first released for WAY less than I'd pay (even with a Barnes & Noble Membership), and I get to chose books that I maybe wouldn't have chosen because I wasn't exposed to them.

So here's the list...

Fear Nothing (Lisa Gardner) - Typical grisly murder mystery.  Too long, could have been much shorter, but not bad.

A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Sherry Thomas)- Sherlock Holmes, but with his sister Charlotte being the real Holmes.  I loved this book for the mystery and different take on a classic).

The English Wife (Lauren Willig) - A twisty book set in the last 19th century NY and London.

As Bright As Heaven (Susan Meissner)- Loved this one.  Spanish Fever in Philadelphia and how it impacted families of all classes.  Full of imagery, really good.

A Study in Scarlet Women (Sherry Thomas) - Another Charlotte Holmes book.

The Perfect Nanny (Leila Slimani) - Good by creepy. The opening line is "The baby is dead."  Yeah.

Behind Her Eyes (Sarah Pinborough)- This one was ok, not great.  It took too long to get to the crux of the story and by that point I was sort of bored.

Stolen Beauty (Laurie Lico Albanese)- This was a great historical piece, set in the time of Gustav Klimt, focusing on one of his muses.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Good book, short chapters with several characters.

The Break Down (B.A. Paris)- This is another book by the author of Behind Closed Doors (which I loved).  This one was good, but not as good.  The main character sort of annoyed me, which made it hard for me to care.

The People We Hate at the Wedding (Grant Ginder) - Good, light read.  I liked some of the characters, others I didn't.  But overall, good.

Other People's Houses (Abbi Waxman) - Meh.  Too many characters, too thinly drawn.  Wouldn't recommend.

Marie Antoinette (Antonia Fraser) - Rich, comprehensive, non-fiction read about the life of Marie Antoinette.  This is the second time I've read this book twice and despite it's over 500 pages of text, I know I'll read it again.  It's just that good.

Madame de Pompadour (Christine Pevitt Algrant) - Nowhere NEAR as detailed or nuanced as Antonia Fraser's book (above).  Took me awhile to get through.

Secrets She Kept (Cathy Gohlke) - Well written WWII fiction.  Flash backs and great characters.  Loved it.

Then She Was Gone (Lisa Jewell) - I tore through this book in less than a day.  I think I had it figured out pretty quickly, but it was still very good and I wasn't 100% right (but verrrry close!)

The Perfect Mother (Aimee Molly)- So far, so good.

So tell me (if you got through all of that!!!), what are you reading?

No comments: