Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Hunger Games

I started reading The Hunger Games this week during a trip to Chicago.  And I'm pissed that I didn't bring the second book in the series, because this series is GOOD, yo!
There are 3 books in the series (Catching Fire and Mockingjay), and although it can be found in the teen fiction section of the bookstore (don't judge), it had a very classic feel to it, despite the modernity of the setting.  Or post-modernism I should say.  In a nutshell its about a post apocolyptic North America, and the continent is split into districts (12 to be exact).  Every year, two adolescents from each district are chosen to fight to the death.  Katniss is the main female character and I loved her.

It's a very Lord of the Flies meets Harry Potter meets Wizard of Oz type of book.  Random, I know, but it is so very good.  Now that I'm home from Chicago I'll be starting book two (Catching Fire) tonight! 

On another note, has anyone been watching Game of Thrones on HBO?  Not at all something I'd ever watch but I'm loving that too!  Check it out.

Ahhh, so good to be home! xo


No comments: